Fr. John Hardon, SJ, says that the spirit of Lent is the spirit of Jesus Crucified. Therefore, whatever spiritual practices enable us to better understand Christ’s Passion and Death, and deepen our responsive love for His great love should be encouraged.
Father offers the following suggestions:
- Meditate on the Gospel Passion narratives
- Read Goodier’s Passion and Death of Our Lord Jesus Christ, Edward Leen’s Why the Cross?, Fulton Sheen’s Seven Words on the Cross
- Recite Soul of Christ Sanctify Me
- Make the daily Way of the Cross and encourage others to do the same
- Having a crucifix within sight as a reminder of the Passion
- Say a few times a day: “Heart of Jesus, obedient unto death, have mercy on us”
- Occasionally recite the Litany of the Precious Blood
- Spend extra time before the Blessed Sacrament
O most Precious Blood of Jesus Christ,
Cleanse the sins of the world.